Saturday, October 14, 2006

Pocket Full O' Goodies

* Today was a good day. I consolidated all of my MARU (fantasy novel) files into one, did a bit of rewriting on Chapter One, and did an actual word count, rather than the guesstimate I had on my word-o-meter previously. I had almost twice as many words as I thought (including today's work). :)

* Check out Flogging The Quill for some useful tidbits, if you haven't already. One of the recent posts there will be a bit of deja vu for Books & Writers forumites - about what should be on the first page of your novel. But there are lots of other goodies, too. Among them a reminder about using the Bookmarks feature in word processing software. (I use MS Word and Open Office and both have the feature.) Very, very useful! Especially since I am condensing my "million files" method into one big file per MSS.

* Another happy little find today was iFinger 2.1 with a very handy dictionary that parks on your browser and WP title bar. (You can get the Mirriam-Webster free, or a limited-time trial version of one of the OEDs. I got both and they work together.) I got it from Download.com.

Okay, that's it for me today. Happy writing, writers!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Have bookmarked the Quill site, for reading when there's more time. Thanks!

Mrs. Mitty said...

You're welcome. :)