Monday, October 02, 2006

As the saying goes...

Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes.

That's what they say about Michigan, and in this case, "they" are right. After the beautiful day yesterday, the thunderstorms started last night.

Then quit. Then started again. Then quit again. Then started again and again, and again! I've lost track of how many times. The kids at school were somewhere on the spectrum between giddy and hysterical when the big booms and flashes hit. {g} It's been quite a day and we even had a lovely sunset between downpours.

I made a movie today at work. A very *small* movie - about three minutes. I shot the video, did a few edits, added a few stills, effects and some music, and voila! It was of our principal doing a Mr. Rogers-style promo for an upcoming band concert. I think that was the most fun I've had at work in...ever. We now have a fairly good set of bloopers for the next staff social event, too. I was almost in tears laughing over some of the first few takes, and I blew the next one by not being able to stop laughing at the previous attempt. Thank goodness my boss is a good sport! {g}

Writing has been interesting for me as I get back at it this time. I am being much more demanding of myself as to *how* I go about writing this fantasy novel. I think the reason is that it's going to be a complex production with threads and timelines that will require a lot of weaving.

Also, one of the MCs will be in third person, and one in first. (I didn't decide that part; they did.) I don't want the story to get hopelessly tangled before it even gets well underway, so I'm going slow and steady and (mostly) linearly. And crossing my fingers.

I want to live up to the good story idea and not screw it up. {g}

If you are a writer, too, do you ever get this sense of intimidation from your work?


* * *
TRACKING...

Yesterday's Big Accomplishment:
Decided how to approach the rest of the conversation between Brakkus & Sareen (since I was stumbling over it) - made a list of 'talking points' to work from.

Today's Target:
Continue work on recasting conversation (above).
Update Blogs.
Make a decision about a laser printer.

On the Percolator:
What happens at Falcon's place in Maru?

6 comments:

Renée (R.E.) Chambliss said...

That happens to me all the time! I have a vision in my head of what the story *could* be and it's so hard to get the actual written version even close.

Sounds like you're moving forward, however, and that's great!

Cindy said...

>>If you are a writer, too, do you ever get this sense of intimidation from your work?<<

YES! All the time!

Sorry, that's all I have time to say...

Mrs. Mitty said...

Renee, yes! That's it...trying to form the vision in mere words. Bet painters have the same type of anxiety. But I guess all we can do is keep trying, and keep trying to get better at it!

And yes, inching forward cautiously is better than racing into a snare. {g}

Mrs. Mitty said...

Well, Cindy, we're in good company, anyway. {s}

No need to apologize, good heavens! I can't imagine how you fit your day into one day as it is! Kidlets, SO, writing, blogs, forum, w*rk, home engineering...sheesh! {s}

Cindy said...

(blush)
Why, thank you! You're so sweet.
I do understand about trying to live up to an idea, though. My historical is left on "simmer" right now, I'm just sick to death of it after 5+ years, so I'm taking a breather.

I like the work you've done on your blog, very nice. What progress meter are you using?

Mrs. Mitty said...

Hi Cindy,

Thanks. :) I'm using Zoutokou (or however you spell that...here's the link - it'll show you:
http://www.zokutou.co.uk/wordmeter/ )

LOL...okay, Zokutou. Yeah, close, Mrs. Mitty. {g}

I hear you on getting sick of the book. {g} Your frustration tolerance must be better than mine though if it took you five years to get there. LOL I'm almost at that point with the western already and it's only been a little over a year. {wg} But, I shall persevere!