Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Random Thoughts About Writing

My last thought before I sat down at the computer - fresh coffee in hand (no, in cup, actually) - arrived in sort of a bubble of giddiness: “Do you know how much I LOVE writing?” (Don't ask me whom I was thinking it to. [g])

It's one of a few select creative activities that I can totally immerse myself in: writing and painting (quasi-artistic, not house) foremost among them. I guess it's about making something from nothing. I bet God enjoys His work, likewise.

I can write and fiddle with my writing for hours on end, days on end, even, barely coming up for air or sustenance or human contact, though my family doesn't let me get away with it for long.

On one hand, this is a wondrous, transported state of being. I create; I am my creations – in the sense of experiencing all that they do, vicariously – and I love the work involved in trying to perfect the creation.

On the other hand, it works really well as a way to escape tending to the laundry, dishes, paperwork and other such less pleasant responsibilities demanded of someone running a household, which can create discontent within the family/community.

Why does there always have to be a price? Polarity? Consequences? Struggle?

Questions for the Ages, I suppose. But I'll continue to take it as it comes and deal with creating balance as I need to.

Because, seriously, do you know how much I LOVE writing? [S]


*****************
Tracking...
A little more fiddling with the current scene, prep for posting in exercises.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Dear Mrs. Mitty:

Love the new look!

It's good that you're enjoying the process, and it's inspiring to hear your enthusiasm.

I've lost a bit of that myself, lately. Not feeling so good about it, for a thousand reasons. Trying to find my way back. (s)

Why is there a price? I don't know. Balance, I guess!

Mrs. Mitty said...

Dear Cindy,

Thanks! I like it much better this time. {g}

Yeah, I was kind of full of it, yesterday, wasn't I? ;) But really, sometimes I just *get* that way. (Those new anti-depressants are really doing the job, yanno? LOL)

But seriously, I've been in that "other place" many times. So {{hugs}} for that. Remember your "writing landscape"...you're just in a valley right now. That'll pass. Just put one foot in front of the other, for now, and you'll get there again. {s}

M

Unknown said...

The blog looks great! Vibrant and exciting!

Writing is good, isn't it? I'm finding I'm even liking those difficult struggles more. There are days when I want to tear my hair out or I feel sick to my stomach, but still I'm grateful. I'm not dealing with office politics, I'm not slinging burgers or coffee, I'm not shovelling sh!t or garbage, I'm not working in a factory, coming home coated in grime. This is a good life.

Mrs. Mitty said...

Dear Sara,

Thanks much! I'm pretty happy with it now.

Yes, writing is good! I know what you mean about enjoying the difficult bits, too. It's fun to keep challenging yourself to make it better. (Unless, of course, you're an uber-perfectionist and can't *ever* let it go.)

I have a 'day job' and enjoy it (though I'd rather be independently wealthy and stay home and write full-time. {g}). It's at a school and I'm off whenever kids are, so that's the next-best thing. Summers off, time off at holidays, etc. Not so great for the finances as I don't get paid then, but it's all about balance. My theme of the week, I guess. {g}

M