Monday, November 06, 2006

If You Write It They Will Come...

Sometimes, writing really is just about taking that leap of faith that something will come of it if you just start. You may have to crash your way through paragraphs or pages of detritus to get to the core, the heart of what you're going for, but you will get there if you keep at it. (And remind me to re-read this next time I get stuck, k?)

After a lot of procrastinating, I finally opened up MARU yesterday evening -- with an attitude. In order to get myself out of my low word production slump, I decided to ignore everything but the last line of the furthest chapter and just step off from there (no matter what I stepped in). So I did. I wrote a pretty horrid couple of paragraphs, concluding with the following: [boy, does this suck]

That wasn't part of the storyline, just my commentary on what I'd typed. Looking at it again today...yeah. It really does suck. [g] But that's what rewrites are for. Anyway, the good thing is, a viable character was born in those crappy paragraphs.

I met the fourth and final member of the Maru. His name is Sebastion. Here's how it happened:

I asked myself, "So why is it bugging Kailia so much that they have to go back to Falcon's place?"

And I answered: "Well, the obvious reason is that it's in the opposite direction of her destination. And too, she envisions Bad Things happening with Grayce and Falcon under the same roof with her. But the further problem is that...they're...going to be late...they're going to...miss a rendezvous...with...Sebastion!"

So, there he was. After that sentence, I wrote: [WTF - Who is Sebastion???]

And I learned he is a bad-ass who wants no truck with any do-gooders. But they have to have his help.

Don't you just love complications? [eg]

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Great post! Thanks for the linkage, and for stopping by my blog! :-)

Mrs. Mitty said...

Thanks Jenny! It's those little rewards that come out of the crud that keep me going. [g]

And thanks for stopping by mine, too. :)

Unknown said...

Good for you! Complications are wonderful, aren't they? ;o)

Cindy said...

Indeed! I like the sound of this Sebastien.

Have you seen The Neverending Story? There were mountains and marshes, deserts and plains - very much like writing terrain. Sounds like you've got yourself a swamp there. And some good progress, good for you!

Mrs. Mitty said...

Thanks, Sara! Yes, indeed. And the bigger the better. [g]

Mrs. Mitty said...

Thanks, Cindy! I think he's going to be a fun one to write...when I get to him. [g]

Yes! That is one of my favorite movies! Maybe *the* favorite. [g] I haven't read the book...wonder if that's even better.

(Fortunately, that Sebastian and my Sebastion don't have much in common.)

I'd never thought of the landscape in that movie that way before, but you're so right! Very similar to writing terrain. (As is The Nothing, at times. [g])

Beth said...

Thanks for directing me to this post. It's a good reminder of the rewards of persistence. And I adore (fictional) complications!

Mrs. Mitty said...

You're welcome, Beth. And thank you for stopping by! {s}