Friday, July 14, 2006

The Fiend Named Should

Spoke with Vicki C. last night (dear friend, wise woman, artist and soap-maker extraordinaire). She is such a great advocate for my writing. When I started in with, “I should be doing such and so…” she stopped me right away and said “Enough with the shoulds!” or something to that effect.

Though I do seem to need reminding from time to time, I know as well as she the evil that lurks in that word. Should. It’s one of the great joy-killers of life, skulking about in the shadows, just waiting to attack for the moment I start indulging in something that not only gives me great pleasure, but could conceivably lead to a dab of income – or maybe even a bunch of it – in the fullness of time. (Ever the optimist, I!)

The fiend named “Should” belongs in a weighted and chained trunk in the deepest, darkest depths of the ocean. The disaster areas that are my office, garage and basement will be there – after I’m done writing – and one more day (or week or month or year) of inadequate attention to them won’t make a bit of difference in the evolution of my life. Inattention to my writing, however, will.

* * *

TRACKING...

Yesterday's Big Accomplishment: Named the main characters' horses in the Western I'm working on. Silly, but it needed to be done. Also got in another snippet of the funeral scene - bleah. It's dragging horribly.

Today's Target: Continue working on funeral scene in Western (shooting for at least 300 words). Personal journaling. Update blog. (Check.)

On the percolator: What is The Big Thing Kailia must do/find/save in the fantasy novel?

No comments: