Friday, August 25, 2006

Two Sides of the Coin

I’m having trouble with a short story I’ve written. It seems to be a trend with my short stories: I don’t like how they turn out. Probably explains why I write so few of them.

The first short story I wrote (as an adult) was for a Creative Writing class, and with the pressure on to do something “different”, I came up with exploring the idea of infidelity on the part of a neglected wife. (Not autobiographical, happily.) I thought that, even if it had been done, at least the wife as the guilty party was a little different. And the husband ‘saying’ he was forgiving, but not actually forgiving her afterward… Well, see, it just wasn’t any fun.

I didn’t like the story. I didn’t like the characters, though I made them at least a little sympathetic. I really didn’t like their behaviors – any of them – and I wanted to throw it away and start a new story before I even finished. I told my instructor how I felt and he said, “Finish it.” I was truly annoyed. I understood why he wanted me to finish it, and he was right to make me – I can admit now - but I hated the whole story. So I gave it one of those ‘left-up-to-the-reader’ endings that he taught us about. Ha. Showed him. ;)

So now, ancient history aside, after having not written any short stories in about ten years, I have written two of them. The one I’m having trouble with currently has a sappy, sugary-sweet ending, and that’s not what I’m after at all. I want it to be a happy ending, but not like that! It’s supposed to be kind of mystical and mysterious and leave the reader with something akin to a gentle case of goosebumps, or a glowy warm feeling – not a toothache.

Gosh I love/hate writing. I’ve always loved it…just never saw the other side of the coin before now! The feeling of knowing exactly what I want to come out, but not being able to grasp the exact right way to shape it to make it happen is driving me bonkers!

Perhaps the Magic Drawer will help. We shall see!

Now, onto the other short story…so far so good…editing in progress. Cross your fingers for me! [g]

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi, Mrs. Mitty!
Yes, I have those days when I don't like my story. I usually decide that if I don't like it, probably other people won't either. There's a sense of peace I get when I know I've got it right, no doubt you get that, too.
Then again, I really don't write short stories, at least not very often. Maybe one in the last ten years. (G)

Mrs. Mitty said...

Hi Cindy,
Sorry for my slooooow responses here - yes those are words of wisdom ("...probably other people won't either.") Somehow, that makes me feel better. Righter, that my story is 'wrong' at the moment. ::wonders if that makes sense to anyone but self::

Sounds like we could be well-matched on the short story production line. [g]